Skip to main content

Surprises in Ministry

11 years ago, this afternoon, I was ordained as a Christian minister.

In some ways, I knew what I was getting into that day, I suppose.  In others, I didn't really have a clue.  I expected that I would be called to serve as pastor of a congregation, where I would be responsible for preaching, leading worship services, participating in other church activities, and more.  I figured that I would attend a lot of meetings.

I didn't know where I would serve, but I wasn't concerned.  I was unmarried and free to move anywhere in the country.  I was confident that I would find a good place.  Six months later, I was making plans to relocate to West Virginia, my home for the next four years.

I felt reasonably prepared for solo ministry and I was excited for the opportunity.  I had a solid training and had spent three years serving as both an elder and part-time youth minister.  My ministry had been nurtured and appreciated in that congregation.  I expected that, whatever mistakes I might make in my first solo pastorate, that would continue.

It mostly did.  I made my share of mistakes, like anyone accepting a new responsibility for the first time.  However, most of my efforts seemed to work well. 

And all of the time, I kept learning.  I discovered things about myself and about the art of ministry.  
  • I am amazed at the rewarding relationships I have enjoyed with people in the congregations where I have served.
  • Closely related to that, I am stunned and humbled by the situations where people have wanted me to join them -- in hospitals; after the death of a loved one; when facing divorce; accepting a new job; coping with work challenges; and more.
  • Church camp is amazing and rewarding.  The chance to work with young people for a concentrated period of time is not only a wonderful way to serve, but I have found that it has reinvigorated me and inspired other parts of my ministry.
  • Discernment really is a vital spiritual discipline.  I first learned about discernment when considering whether to pursue ordination, but now I see how much of my life and my leadership is about discerning God's guidance -- and helping other people to discern it as well.
  • God has both a sense of purpose and a sense of humor.  And those are valuable attributes to anyone serving in a congregation.
  • Perhaps most importantly, I discovered how invaluable it is to have strong relationships with colleagues.  I have found wonderful wisdom, support, friendship, and more among other ministers.  This has not been restricted to ministers of my particular denomination, but to many clergy in a variety of denominations.  Many times I have leaned on this people to face challenges, to make decisions, and just to relax.
My life is significantly different now than 11 years ago.  I am married -- to another ordained minister -- and we are parents of a young son.  This has certainly changed the pattern of my workdays.  Instead of preparing to be ordained, I now have the responsibility and the honor to help other people discern if they are meant to serve as ordained ministers.

Most people think that ministry itself has changed dramatically in the past 11 years too.  Certainly technology has changed what ministers spend their time doing and how we do it.  The bigger change may be the growing challenge for congregations to be able to afford the cost of full-time pastors, the result of both shrinking congregations and the rapidly increasing costs of providing fair salary and benefits.

I have some thoughts on those changes.  Today, though, I am simply reminded of the hope of 11 years ago.  I am an ordained minister, who serves a congregation as senior pastor.  I didn't quite know what the journey would be to this place, but through the support of many and the guidance of God, it has gone remarkably well.  I trust, wherever I may be and whatever I might be doing 11 years from now, that the same will be true then.  Often, God's plans are bigger than our dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decision-Making in Church Settings

In the past few days, the news has been dominated by an anonymous editorial written by "a senior official in the Trump administration."   It suggests that many people appointed by the president are working to protect the country from the president's "worst inclinations."  Like many people, I have found the entire affair fascinating, though I recognize there are some rather horrifying implications to the op-ed and some of its details. One paragraph caught my eye, not only for its political implications, but for a trend in behavior that I have often observed in church settings. Given the instability witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president.  But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis.  So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until -- one way or another -- it's over. Presumably, people who have the

On This World Communion Sunday

Each year, the first Sunday in October is celebrated as World Communion Sunday by Christians of many denominations and affiliations.  This is both an affirmation that Jesus intends his followers to be united and a recognition that we are not yet. Sadly, differing theologies and practices prevent all Christians from gathering together at one table.  However, there is still something hopeful in our willingness, at least one day a year, to push our tables closer together.  If we cannot exactly agree on all of the particulars on who can participate, and how we partake together, and what it all means, at least we honor the centrality of this sacrament in the faith of so many Christians.  And we covenant to gather in Jesus' name at the Lord's Table on this same day. As a member and minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), I strive to be part of a movement for unity where all Christians are welcomed and affirmed at Jesus' table.  Still, I suspect that my welcome and

Understanding the Meaning of Repentance

repent  - 1. to feel sorry for (an error, sin, etc.) 2. to feel such regret over (an action, intention, etc.) as to change one's mind Webster's New World Dictionary The Modern Desk Edition of Webster's New World Dictionary sits on my desk, next to hymnals and other worship resources.  My name is written on the inside cover in my mother's neat handwriting. I think one of my elementary school teachers required each student to have a dictionary, and this was the one my parents found for me.  It's been on or in my desk ever since, and I've used it quite a bit over the years, as evidenced by the well-worn cover. Preparing for Lent this year, I pulled it out again to check the proper spelling of repentance.  In doing so, I discovered the definition written above. At first glance, it seemed like a straightforward definition of both the common religious and secular uses of the word repent.  However, something about it nags at me. Perhaps it is the initial def