Skip to main content

On This World Communion Sunday

Each year, the first Sunday in October is celebrated as World Communion Sunday by Christians of many denominations and affiliations.  This is both an affirmation that Jesus intends his followers to be united and a recognition that we are not yet.

Sadly, differing theologies and practices prevent all Christians from gathering together at one table.  However, there is still something hopeful in our willingness, at least one day a year, to push our tables closer together.  If we cannot exactly agree on all of the particulars on who can participate, and how we partake together, and what it all means, at least we honor the centrality of this sacrament in the faith of so many Christians.  And we covenant to gather in Jesus' name at the Lord's Table on this same day.

As a member and minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), I strive to be part of a movement for unity where all Christians are welcomed and affirmed at Jesus' table.  Still, I suspect that my welcome and affirmation of others is more limited than Jesus' own welcome is.  That is my confession and my hope for God's continuing transformation in my life.

  • If we are equally welcome at Christ's table, then no one should feel like their place is with the out-of-town second cousins in the room down the hall.  (Yes, too often, there seems to be a seating chart when we gather for Communion.)
  • If we are equally welcome at Christ's table, then no one should feel like they are welcome only as long as they keep their head down and their mouth closed.
  • If we are equally welcome at Christ's table, then no one should be prevented from leading and welcoming others.  Even today, these are controversial words among Christians.  However, I fundamentally believe that a fully open and inclusive Communion means that any follower of Jesus can pray for the bread and cup, repeat Jesus' own words, and reflect on how and why this is a sacred time.
The great blessing, even when I lament my own shortcomings, is that I am confident that Jesus welcomes me with open arms.  The great blessing, which is part of my calling as a minister, is that I am often invited to lead in Jesus' name, even with my blind spots.  The great challenge is to wholeheartedly invite others to experience the same blessing.  An equal challenge is to remember that most people have to be asked many times before they realize the invitation is genuine.  (Of course, I think I went through those same doubts too.)

When we talk about Communion in the church, we usually focus on the descriptions of the Last Supper in the Gospels or on Paul's teaching in 1 Corinthians 11.  I wonder, though, how this sacred time might change if we took this description of Jesus more to heart:
And the Pharisees and the scribes were grumbling and saying, "This fellow welcomes sinners and eats with them." (Luke 15:2 NRSV)
What a glorious gathering such a feast can be in Jesus' eyes, even if from our eyes it just looks like a bunch of people who've made an almost unforgivable number of mistakes.  Some have made mistakes that you and I have made; some have made mistakes we wouldn't dream of.  Some have truly repented for the ways their mistakes have hurt other people; some have only partially repented, if at all.

All are welcome.  All are beloved.  All are God's own children.

One day, may we all truly experience and fully share such love and affirmation as Jesus offers us.  In the meantime, come as you are.  The Lord welcomes us to his table, just as we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decision-Making in Church Settings

In the past few days, the news has been dominated by an anonymous editorial written by "a senior official in the Trump administration."   It suggests that many people appointed by the president are working to protect the country from the president's "worst inclinations."  Like many people, I have found the entire affair fascinating, though I recognize there are some rather horrifying implications to the op-ed and some of its details. One paragraph caught my eye, not only for its political implications, but for a trend in behavior that I have often observed in church settings. Given the instability witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president.  But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis.  So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until -- one way or another -- it's over. Presumably, people who have the

Understanding the Meaning of Repentance

repent  - 1. to feel sorry for (an error, sin, etc.) 2. to feel such regret over (an action, intention, etc.) as to change one's mind Webster's New World Dictionary The Modern Desk Edition of Webster's New World Dictionary sits on my desk, next to hymnals and other worship resources.  My name is written on the inside cover in my mother's neat handwriting. I think one of my elementary school teachers required each student to have a dictionary, and this was the one my parents found for me.  It's been on or in my desk ever since, and I've used it quite a bit over the years, as evidenced by the well-worn cover. Preparing for Lent this year, I pulled it out again to check the proper spelling of repentance.  In doing so, I discovered the definition written above. At first glance, it seemed like a straightforward definition of both the common religious and secular uses of the word repent.  However, something about it nags at me. Perhaps it is the initial def