Skip to main content

How to Preach about Theology and Popular Culture

This week, I preach the final sermon of my annual "Summer Blockbuster Sermon Series."  It explored some of the theological issues raised by the latest film in the "Jurassic Park/Jurassic World" franchise.

Eight summer ago, it was a lark.  In my first year of weekly preaching, I prepared an ambitious sermon series on the Jewish monarchy, which I believe stretched from June into October.  It was too much -- too many kings, too long to focus on them, week after week, and too serious for the summer months.

So I tried to imagine a sermon series that was not as serious.  Given that many people take vacation trips during the summer, it also needed to be a collection of sermons that were more self-contained each week, so that people wouldn't miss part of the overarching series theme if they were away for a week or two. 

Exploring religious themes in popular movies seemed like a good Summer theme.  It also was a "win-win" for me because I could go watch movies "on the clock."  It turned out, many people enjoyed the entire process, so it was a win-win for people in that congregation.  After I was called to a serve in a new congregation, I continued the series, and many people look forward to it year after year.

On a certain level, that makes it a successful project.  For preachers who prepare around 50 sermons a year, it can be difficult to imagine people remembering much of what we say.  To have people not only remember, but look forward to certain types of sermons that we prepare is high praise.  (Sometimes I wonder if more lectionary-based preachers enjoy this type of affirmation in their preaching.)

My sermon on God and dinosaurs showed what I've learned after preaching on themes in almost 40 movies over the years.  I basically use the film as an extended illustration for the sermon, and often place the film and a selected Bible-passage in dialogue, allowing them to inform each other.  I don't know if this is the best way to do this, but I've found it to be successful.

So, I took a sci-fi thriller about dinosaurs seriously.  And I took a bizarre story about a foreign prophet and his obstinate donkey, who talks back to his master, seriously.  This inspired some reflections that touched on issues of creation, natural theology, human pride, human ingenuity, the relationship between science and religion, appreciating "the other," and more.

On a certain level, the theme was very simple, encouraging wonder at the vastness of God's creation.  The invitation, though, was more profound and practical -- where do you see God in the world around you?  Or, as I put it at one point, what can dinosaurs tell us about God?

I know it wasn't a perfect sermon.  It probably wasn't even the best way to present some of the deeper themes about either the story of Balaam in Numbers 22-24 or of the various Jurassic Park/Jurassic World movies.  I probably could have dug deeper, and I probably could have incorporated some lessons from the words of important scientists and theologians.

It was a good sermon, though, despite whatever flaws it might have.  It encouraged people to take God seriously and to take themselves seriously.  It engaged the world beyond the church doors, rather than hid from it or pretended it doesn't exist.  It asked more questions than offered answers.  And, hopefully, it broadened the image of God -- and the vastness of God -- for the people who listened to it (even if clumsily and imperfectly).

At the end of the day, I think that's what good preaching does.  It opens our eyes in new ways to God, while taking us -- and our everyday experiences -- seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decision-Making in Church Settings

In the past few days, the news has been dominated by an anonymous editorial written by "a senior official in the Trump administration."   It suggests that many people appointed by the president are working to protect the country from the president's "worst inclinations."  Like many people, I have found the entire affair fascinating, though I recognize there are some rather horrifying implications to the op-ed and some of its details. One paragraph caught my eye, not only for its political implications, but for a trend in behavior that I have often observed in church settings. Given the instability witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president.  But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis.  So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until -- one way or another -- it's over. Presumably, people who have the

On This World Communion Sunday

Each year, the first Sunday in October is celebrated as World Communion Sunday by Christians of many denominations and affiliations.  This is both an affirmation that Jesus intends his followers to be united and a recognition that we are not yet. Sadly, differing theologies and practices prevent all Christians from gathering together at one table.  However, there is still something hopeful in our willingness, at least one day a year, to push our tables closer together.  If we cannot exactly agree on all of the particulars on who can participate, and how we partake together, and what it all means, at least we honor the centrality of this sacrament in the faith of so many Christians.  And we covenant to gather in Jesus' name at the Lord's Table on this same day. As a member and minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), I strive to be part of a movement for unity where all Christians are welcomed and affirmed at Jesus' table.  Still, I suspect that my welcome and

Understanding the Meaning of Repentance

repent  - 1. to feel sorry for (an error, sin, etc.) 2. to feel such regret over (an action, intention, etc.) as to change one's mind Webster's New World Dictionary The Modern Desk Edition of Webster's New World Dictionary sits on my desk, next to hymnals and other worship resources.  My name is written on the inside cover in my mother's neat handwriting. I think one of my elementary school teachers required each student to have a dictionary, and this was the one my parents found for me.  It's been on or in my desk ever since, and I've used it quite a bit over the years, as evidenced by the well-worn cover. Preparing for Lent this year, I pulled it out again to check the proper spelling of repentance.  In doing so, I discovered the definition written above. At first glance, it seemed like a straightforward definition of both the common religious and secular uses of the word repent.  However, something about it nags at me. Perhaps it is the initial def