Skip to main content

Sabbatical Lessons

At this time a year ago, I was beginning a three month sabbatical.  It was a wonderful and disorienting experience.

We had a wonderful celebration in worship, which included a special commissioning and blessing for the sabbatical time and a welcome for an interim sabbatical minister.  There was a nice reception after worship.  I came home.  I sent a few last minute emails based on conversations from that morning to people in the congregation and uploaded and posted the recording of my sermon.  When these things were done, I adjusted the settings on my calendar to not automatically include the church calendar and I turned off the notifications on my phone for my church email account.

Then I didn't quite know what to do.  For years, my life has followed the rhythms of the church calendar.  Each week and month, certain things happen and need to be accomplished.  Even while resting on my sabbath days and during vacations, deep down I have known what work I had to do when I returned to the office.

Except for a few family obligations and planned lunches with friends, my calendar was empty.  While I planned for the sabbatical to be a time of writing and study, there were no due dates.  I wasn't working under contract, and I hadn't even promised the congregation that I would have something to hand them when I returned.  So I didn't have to worry about how much I wrote or when it got done (or even if it got done).

The space and freedom was a great gift.  I spent lots of time with my wife and son.  We had the opportunity to see friends more.  On Sundays, we went to worship as a family, often visiting our friends and colleagues in their home congregations, and then were done for the day.

Even more, the space and freedom not only encouraged rest, but it created a place for new ideas and new energy -- both for me as a minister and for my congregation.  In the past year, our congregation has embraced some new ideas in our worship services, our development of spiritual practices, and the ways we approach planning and administrative responsibilities.

The writing projects that I worked on during the sabbatical are still incomplete -- though happily I continue to make progress on them, and I might even have a complete draft of a book by the end of this year.  The fruits of the sabbatical have been abundant, though, for both me and for the congregation.

This is the promise of sabbath that God makes with us.  So often, we are convinced that we just have to work harder and longer than everyone else to get ahead.  God reminds us, though, that there is abundance in our lives that only reaches fruition when we stop our labor.  Some of the most important things just need time and space to grow.  And some of the most valuable parts of our lives have nothing to do with our work.

I hope that every congregation will support sabbath rest for their pastors -- not just by leaving them alone one day each week, but also by finding ways for them to experience the time and space of sabbath.  Sometimes this can be a period of sabbatical given after so many years of service, but more creatively, it might include extra vacation or retreat time in other years.  Or the congregation might work to ensure that the pastor has sufficient time away from meetings and other obligations to spend with family and friends.

Our time and space for rest is part of fulfilling God's promises for our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decision-Making in Church Settings

In the past few days, the news has been dominated by an anonymous editorial written by "a senior official in the Trump administration."   It suggests that many people appointed by the president are working to protect the country from the president's "worst inclinations."  Like many people, I have found the entire affair fascinating, though I recognize there are some rather horrifying implications to the op-ed and some of its details. One paragraph caught my eye, not only for its political implications, but for a trend in behavior that I have often observed in church settings. Given the instability witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president.  But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis.  So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until -- one way or another -- it's over. Presumably, people who have the

On This World Communion Sunday

Each year, the first Sunday in October is celebrated as World Communion Sunday by Christians of many denominations and affiliations.  This is both an affirmation that Jesus intends his followers to be united and a recognition that we are not yet. Sadly, differing theologies and practices prevent all Christians from gathering together at one table.  However, there is still something hopeful in our willingness, at least one day a year, to push our tables closer together.  If we cannot exactly agree on all of the particulars on who can participate, and how we partake together, and what it all means, at least we honor the centrality of this sacrament in the faith of so many Christians.  And we covenant to gather in Jesus' name at the Lord's Table on this same day. As a member and minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), I strive to be part of a movement for unity where all Christians are welcomed and affirmed at Jesus' table.  Still, I suspect that my welcome and

Understanding the Meaning of Repentance

repent  - 1. to feel sorry for (an error, sin, etc.) 2. to feel such regret over (an action, intention, etc.) as to change one's mind Webster's New World Dictionary The Modern Desk Edition of Webster's New World Dictionary sits on my desk, next to hymnals and other worship resources.  My name is written on the inside cover in my mother's neat handwriting. I think one of my elementary school teachers required each student to have a dictionary, and this was the one my parents found for me.  It's been on or in my desk ever since, and I've used it quite a bit over the years, as evidenced by the well-worn cover. Preparing for Lent this year, I pulled it out again to check the proper spelling of repentance.  In doing so, I discovered the definition written above. At first glance, it seemed like a straightforward definition of both the common religious and secular uses of the word repent.  However, something about it nags at me. Perhaps it is the initial def