Skip to main content

Responsibilities When People Listen

Without question, one of the weirdest things that happens in my ministry is when someone in the church quotes me to others.  It is particularly weird when I find out that my words have been shared in a newsletter article or meeting beyond our congregation.

As far as I know, it doesn't happen that much.  The few times that it has been mentioned to me, though, I have caught my breath, hoping that what they had remembered was something good and worthwhile, rather than the alternative.  Frankly, I desperately hope that I haven't led them in the wrong direction.

I don't know what I expected when I was preparing for ministry.  I frequently quote things that I've learned from books, articles, and presentations, including from teachers I have had.   Given that much of my ministry is centered on public communication -- preaching, teaching, and writing -- I hope that what I am doing is valuable and nurturing for many people.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not a minister who expects that people won't listen to me.  I've met some of those people, who either worry that they have nothing to say or who believe that the message of the gospel is completely drowned out these days by the wider culture and minister-types are relics of a previous age.  I work hard to offer faithful food for thought and strive to set a strong example of how to approach studying the Bible, theology, ethics, and more.

Still, it's weird to hear people are teaching others what you've taught them.  And it is a reminder for those of us with public leadership roles -- especially those of us who preach, teach, write, and counsel -- that we have important responsibilities for our communication.  Because people are listening.

Here are a few key things that guide my communication -- responsibilities I have when people listen.

1. Be honest.  It takes confidence to stand in front of a room and speak or to publish and share something you write.  Part of it is the belief that we have something to share, based on experience or learning.  Rarely is our knowledge all-encompassing on a topic, though, and we should be willing to admit the areas where we have less experience, training, or information. 

2. Be transparent.  No one becomes an expert in a vacuum.  Share how you've learned some of what you are sharing, by citing your sources of experience or of others' writing and teaching.  This not only models good practices, but helps people to better understand the arc of your thought and hopefully better appreciate some of the things you are integrating together.  And, if they are curious, it offers some obvious ways how they can explore a topic more.

3. Be diligent.  Prepare, prepare, prepare.  Some of this preparation is intention for specific sermons, classes, articles, and blog posts.  Don't just wing it, but think through what you want to present and look for ways to make it accessible and interesting by connecting it with the experiences of your intended audience.  In addition, some preparation is general.  Good communicators are always still learning from others -- keep attending classes and lectures, engaging in discussions, and reading.

4. Be wary.  Before you share your thoughts, try to imagine how people might misconstrue or misuse what you say or write.  Be careful of jokes that unnecessarily reinforce unhealthy prejudices, for instance.  Do not imagine that everyone in your audience will perfectly understand your intentions.  I once heard a well-known preacher offer a sermon that pointed toward particular theological and political conclusions and was amazed to notice that the sermon could have been preached almost word for word by someone pointing to the exact opposite theological and political conclusions (which betrayed both the preacher's lack of self-awareness and more than a bit of self-righteousness).

4a. Be adaptable.  If, when you've said or written something, you discover that some people are using your words to justify unethical behavior or thinking, make changes.  In some settings, you might be able to offer clarifications.  More importantly, though, this is a call to change how you handle such issues in the future.  Don't blame your audience for misunderstanding you (though that certainly may happen sometimes).  Take responsibility for your words and the tone with which you say or write them.

5. Be humble.  You know many things.  You do not know all things.  Try to keep both the urges of ignorance and omniscience balanced.  And look for ways to invite and include others in the discussion of your topics.

It's not an exhaustive list.  And, I'll admit, there are times when I don't fully live up to these standards, as much as I'm trying to live into them.  However, we must remember that leaders and public communicators have responsibilities to their audiences, not just a blanket invitation to share their thoughts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decision-Making in Church Settings

In the past few days, the news has been dominated by an anonymous editorial written by "a senior official in the Trump administration."   It suggests that many people appointed by the president are working to protect the country from the president's "worst inclinations."  Like many people, I have found the entire affair fascinating, though I recognize there are some rather horrifying implications to the op-ed and some of its details. One paragraph caught my eye, not only for its political implications, but for a trend in behavior that I have often observed in church settings. Given the instability witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president.  But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis.  So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until -- one way or another -- it's over. Presumably, people who have the

On This World Communion Sunday

Each year, the first Sunday in October is celebrated as World Communion Sunday by Christians of many denominations and affiliations.  This is both an affirmation that Jesus intends his followers to be united and a recognition that we are not yet. Sadly, differing theologies and practices prevent all Christians from gathering together at one table.  However, there is still something hopeful in our willingness, at least one day a year, to push our tables closer together.  If we cannot exactly agree on all of the particulars on who can participate, and how we partake together, and what it all means, at least we honor the centrality of this sacrament in the faith of so many Christians.  And we covenant to gather in Jesus' name at the Lord's Table on this same day. As a member and minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), I strive to be part of a movement for unity where all Christians are welcomed and affirmed at Jesus' table.  Still, I suspect that my welcome and

Understanding the Meaning of Repentance

repent  - 1. to feel sorry for (an error, sin, etc.) 2. to feel such regret over (an action, intention, etc.) as to change one's mind Webster's New World Dictionary The Modern Desk Edition of Webster's New World Dictionary sits on my desk, next to hymnals and other worship resources.  My name is written on the inside cover in my mother's neat handwriting. I think one of my elementary school teachers required each student to have a dictionary, and this was the one my parents found for me.  It's been on or in my desk ever since, and I've used it quite a bit over the years, as evidenced by the well-worn cover. Preparing for Lent this year, I pulled it out again to check the proper spelling of repentance.  In doing so, I discovered the definition written above. At first glance, it seemed like a straightforward definition of both the common religious and secular uses of the word repent.  However, something about it nags at me. Perhaps it is the initial def