Skip to main content

Putting the Christmas in Advent

When can you begin having Christmas music during worship services?

Some suggest that the liturgical calendar requires 4 weeks of Advent preparation before Christmas begins.  So you don't hear a note of Christmas music until Christmas Eve.  Others believe that Christmas music is appropriate during the weeks of Advent.

While I can see the merits of both sides, I personally fall into the second category.  Then again, I've celebrated "Christmas in July" before in congregations, complete with Christmas carols and outreach mission efforts, so I might be an outlier in this conversation, given that I think Christmas music is appropriate during the season after Pentecost.

Partially, this is because I think that most Christians are more familiar with the cultural calendar nearing Christmas, rather than the liturgical calendar.  It can be weird to hear Christmas music, including religious music like "Joy to the World" or "Do You Hear What I Hear?" on the radio and in public, but not in church.

Even more, few Christians have much experience celebrating 12 days of Christmas -- in fact, they may not even know that the interminable song of that name is drawn from the Christian calendar.  Worse, when people go back to work and school after the start of the new year, they are mostly thinking about when they should pack away the decorations... while the church is still celebrating Christmas.

The bigger challenge, though, is that I'm not convinced that the church does a very good job of showing the relationship between Advent and Christmas, especially when compared with the similar relationship of Lent and Easter.

While both Advent and Lent are seasons of preparation, they both naturally and necessarily incorporate parts of Christmas and Easter.  Each Sunday in Lent is a feast day of the resurrection, at the very least.  If Communion is celebrated, the reality of God's incarnation in Jesus and the resurrection are explicitly celebrated.  Communal prayers usually recognize both of those realities too.

Advent is a season of preparing for something specific, the birth of Jesus and the coming of Emmanuel.  This is why John the Baptist features so prominently in the scripture selections for the season (alongside beloved passages of Isaiah): his role is to prepare and announce the coming of the Christ.  In some ways, John the Baptist makes very little sense unless you talk about Jesus at the same time.

So I'm not convinced that eliminating Christmas music from worship services during Advent really accomplishes what some hope.  Aside from overcomplicating the lives of music directors -- really, I have yet to find a true Advent cantata that isn't at least 50% Christmas music and texts -- I'm not sure that it conveys much of importance to people in worship services.

Then again, I'm always happy to hear a strong view in the opposite direction.  In the meantime, I imagine we'll keep singing Christmas music during Advent, the 12 days of Christmas, and occasionally in July.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decision-Making in Church Settings

In the past few days, the news has been dominated by an anonymous editorial written by "a senior official in the Trump administration."   It suggests that many people appointed by the president are working to protect the country from the president's "worst inclinations."  Like many people, I have found the entire affair fascinating, though I recognize there are some rather horrifying implications to the op-ed and some of its details. One paragraph caught my eye, not only for its political implications, but for a trend in behavior that I have often observed in church settings. Given the instability witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president.  But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis.  So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until -- one way or another -- it's over. Presumably, people who have the

On This World Communion Sunday

Each year, the first Sunday in October is celebrated as World Communion Sunday by Christians of many denominations and affiliations.  This is both an affirmation that Jesus intends his followers to be united and a recognition that we are not yet. Sadly, differing theologies and practices prevent all Christians from gathering together at one table.  However, there is still something hopeful in our willingness, at least one day a year, to push our tables closer together.  If we cannot exactly agree on all of the particulars on who can participate, and how we partake together, and what it all means, at least we honor the centrality of this sacrament in the faith of so many Christians.  And we covenant to gather in Jesus' name at the Lord's Table on this same day. As a member and minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), I strive to be part of a movement for unity where all Christians are welcomed and affirmed at Jesus' table.  Still, I suspect that my welcome and

Understanding the Meaning of Repentance

repent  - 1. to feel sorry for (an error, sin, etc.) 2. to feel such regret over (an action, intention, etc.) as to change one's mind Webster's New World Dictionary The Modern Desk Edition of Webster's New World Dictionary sits on my desk, next to hymnals and other worship resources.  My name is written on the inside cover in my mother's neat handwriting. I think one of my elementary school teachers required each student to have a dictionary, and this was the one my parents found for me.  It's been on or in my desk ever since, and I've used it quite a bit over the years, as evidenced by the well-worn cover. Preparing for Lent this year, I pulled it out again to check the proper spelling of repentance.  In doing so, I discovered the definition written above. At first glance, it seemed like a straightforward definition of both the common religious and secular uses of the word repent.  However, something about it nags at me. Perhaps it is the initial def