Skip to main content

New Year... New Board Members

I've spent part of this week preparing for our congregation's first board meeting of the new year.  Often, this process takes more time and more communication than I remember from year to year.

Our congregation has a good tradition of official and unofficial term limits, so that most positions have new people in them every few years.  In general, I support this practice.  On one level, I want to prevent anyone from ever becoming so entrenched in a single church leadership role -- whether by personal desire or popular acclaim -- that they cannot do anything else and no one else can assume that role.  On another level, I think that these term limits are a way of practicing sabbath.  Not only do we allow people to rest from certain responsibilities every so often -- even if they are quite gifted at them -- but we also celebrate that God has blessed the congregation with multiple people who can assume responsibilities in ways that bless others and enrich our shared Christian ministry.

Such regular transition means that there are a lot of things for people to learn when they assume new offices and the new church board meets for the first time.  This week, I've spent time with a couple of incoming officers answering questions and making sure that we will accomplish the things we need to accomplish at the first meeting, including some annual tasks prescribed by our by-laws for the first meeting of each year.  In the process of these questions and answers, I've learned a couple of things too, which in itself shows the value of involving new people from time to time.  They bring new questions and perspectives, which often bring growth for the entire congregation and its ministry.

That said, I'm always struck by how little the congregations I've served do at the first meeting to orient new board members.  (For me, that meeting has always occurred in January, but I know that some congregations transition leadership at other times of the calendar year.)  Given that so many people remain on the board from year to year, even if they are assuming different responsibilities, I think that there is a presumption that everyone already knows what is going on.

Even more, I think that our board meetings follow many other church practices -- we assume that new people will just pay attention and figure out what's going on.  "Church by osmosis," if you will.

I think that many congregations, my current one included, try hard to explain the main responsibilities of the office to the new officer.  This rarely extends, though, to explaining exactly what the board does as a group... and what the congregation is relying on the board to do.  Little attention is given to explaining how the board does its work either.

This year, after talking to our new board chair, we will try something different.  I'm going to briefly explain what it means to serve on a board of directors to make sure that everyone is aware of the primary responsibilities.  I'm going to remind people what powers the board has and how we try to use those powers faithfully.  I also will talk about the happy tradition in our congregation, which has long been to work mostly by consensus, but trusting people to voice their concerns and questions freely.

I don't quite know how everyone will take it.  At the very least, they'll probably humor me as the pastor.  Then again, who knows?  Someone may ask a new question that causes us to all find an answer that we hadn't known, and we'll all leave knowing a little bit more about what it means to be the member of a church board.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decision-Making in Church Settings

In the past few days, the news has been dominated by an anonymous editorial written by "a senior official in the Trump administration."   It suggests that many people appointed by the president are working to protect the country from the president's "worst inclinations."  Like many people, I have found the entire affair fascinating, though I recognize there are some rather horrifying implications to the op-ed and some of its details. One paragraph caught my eye, not only for its political implications, but for a trend in behavior that I have often observed in church settings. Given the instability witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president.  But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis.  So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until -- one way or another -- it's over. Presumably, people who have the

On This World Communion Sunday

Each year, the first Sunday in October is celebrated as World Communion Sunday by Christians of many denominations and affiliations.  This is both an affirmation that Jesus intends his followers to be united and a recognition that we are not yet. Sadly, differing theologies and practices prevent all Christians from gathering together at one table.  However, there is still something hopeful in our willingness, at least one day a year, to push our tables closer together.  If we cannot exactly agree on all of the particulars on who can participate, and how we partake together, and what it all means, at least we honor the centrality of this sacrament in the faith of so many Christians.  And we covenant to gather in Jesus' name at the Lord's Table on this same day. As a member and minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), I strive to be part of a movement for unity where all Christians are welcomed and affirmed at Jesus' table.  Still, I suspect that my welcome and

Understanding the Meaning of Repentance

repent  - 1. to feel sorry for (an error, sin, etc.) 2. to feel such regret over (an action, intention, etc.) as to change one's mind Webster's New World Dictionary The Modern Desk Edition of Webster's New World Dictionary sits on my desk, next to hymnals and other worship resources.  My name is written on the inside cover in my mother's neat handwriting. I think one of my elementary school teachers required each student to have a dictionary, and this was the one my parents found for me.  It's been on or in my desk ever since, and I've used it quite a bit over the years, as evidenced by the well-worn cover. Preparing for Lent this year, I pulled it out again to check the proper spelling of repentance.  In doing so, I discovered the definition written above. At first glance, it seemed like a straightforward definition of both the common religious and secular uses of the word repent.  However, something about it nags at me. Perhaps it is the initial def