Skip to main content

Holy Week Worship

Throughout my time serving as a pastor, Holy Week has been the focal point of my year.  I believe there is great value for a congregation experiencing the breadth of emotions and lessons of Jesus' passion.  While Easter and the promise of the resurrection is an essential part of our faith, the meaning of Jesus' resurrection is heavily contextualized by the events that precede it. 

So I plan for services on Palm Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday.  This is a lot for any congregation, especially a small to mid-size one.  However, the number of services offers opportunities for more people to lead in worship and it provides time and space to plan unique worship services.

As the congregation has gained more awareness of these services, we have varied our approaches, and become especially creative for the Thursday and Friday services.  (We always celebrate the Great Vigil of Easter on Holy Saturday.)  This year, our planning team came up with ideas that melded into particularly meaningful worship services on Thursday and Friday.

As I help to shape these Holy Week services, I try to share two overlapping themes.  The first ties these services to the history of worship in the church -- helping people to gain understanding of their connections with other Christians.  The second varies from year to year, as I come up with a specific theme, which almost always is the culmination of a Lenten focus.  This year, the theme has been "Matters of Life and Death," and it will continue beyond Easter through Pentecost.

Personally, I enjoy these reminders of our connections with Christians of various times and places.  Pastorally, I relish the challenge of developing and exploring overarching themes.  Somehow, I think that this year's theme has been particularly evocative, stretching me in my study and application.  Often my preaching has been at its best when I've challenges myself; for years, I have believed my best Easter sermon served as the culmination of a study of Job.  Today, building on one of the insights of that sermon, I think I may have equaled that effort.  At the very least, I can admit that the sermon not only seemed to connect with the congregation, but developed my preaching in a new way.  Time will tell.

I'm pleased, in one place, to share some of my sermons and meditations from Holy Week 2019.  These include multiple ones from two Easter services.  Technically they were identical services, but given that I am not a manuscript preacher, the sermons and communion meditations have noticeable differences, even though they share the main points.

Palm Sunday sermon: "A Death Sentence," drawing lessons from Jesus cursing the fig tree and cleansing the Temple in Mark 11

Maundy Thursday meditation: "Watchfulness," in a service that focused on Jesus gathering with the disciples in the upper room

Easter Vigil meditation: "What Comes After Death?"

Easter Sunday: "The Living," first service, and "The Living," second service, based on Jesus' resurrection recounted in Luke 24
Easter Sunday: Communion meditation, first service, and Communion meditation, second service
Easter Sunday: Benediction, first service, and Benediction, second service

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Decision-Making in Church Settings

In the past few days, the news has been dominated by an anonymous editorial written by "a senior official in the Trump administration."   It suggests that many people appointed by the president are working to protect the country from the president's "worst inclinations."  Like many people, I have found the entire affair fascinating, though I recognize there are some rather horrifying implications to the op-ed and some of its details. One paragraph caught my eye, not only for its political implications, but for a trend in behavior that I have often observed in church settings. Given the instability witnessed, there were early whispers within the cabinet of invoking the 25th Amendment, which would start a complex process for removing the president.  But no one wanted to precipitate a constitutional crisis.  So we will do what we can to steer the administration in the right direction until -- one way or another -- it's over. Presumably, people who have the

On This World Communion Sunday

Each year, the first Sunday in October is celebrated as World Communion Sunday by Christians of many denominations and affiliations.  This is both an affirmation that Jesus intends his followers to be united and a recognition that we are not yet. Sadly, differing theologies and practices prevent all Christians from gathering together at one table.  However, there is still something hopeful in our willingness, at least one day a year, to push our tables closer together.  If we cannot exactly agree on all of the particulars on who can participate, and how we partake together, and what it all means, at least we honor the centrality of this sacrament in the faith of so many Christians.  And we covenant to gather in Jesus' name at the Lord's Table on this same day. As a member and minister in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), I strive to be part of a movement for unity where all Christians are welcomed and affirmed at Jesus' table.  Still, I suspect that my welcome and

Understanding the Meaning of Repentance

repent  - 1. to feel sorry for (an error, sin, etc.) 2. to feel such regret over (an action, intention, etc.) as to change one's mind Webster's New World Dictionary The Modern Desk Edition of Webster's New World Dictionary sits on my desk, next to hymnals and other worship resources.  My name is written on the inside cover in my mother's neat handwriting. I think one of my elementary school teachers required each student to have a dictionary, and this was the one my parents found for me.  It's been on or in my desk ever since, and I've used it quite a bit over the years, as evidenced by the well-worn cover. Preparing for Lent this year, I pulled it out again to check the proper spelling of repentance.  In doing so, I discovered the definition written above. At first glance, it seemed like a straightforward definition of both the common religious and secular uses of the word repent.  However, something about it nags at me. Perhaps it is the initial def